From:
Shannon McElearney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:05:40 -0500
By winning a bet with my very famous and monumentally important pediatric
surgery attending (that the OR would not be ready for us before 14:30 for our
2 month old with pyloric stenosis) who is brilliant but a little conservative, I
have finally put a chink in our antiquated post-pyloromyotomy feeding
regimen.  It does still involved bottle-feeding (x5 in graduated amounts), but
starts with full strength breastmilk!  This may not sound like a coup, but the
prior regimen involves Pedialyte x 2, then 1/4 strength formula or breastmilk in
graduated amounts for 4 feedings, then 1/2 strength, etc., and usually takes
at least 24 hours before baby is breastfeeding again.  My regimen may get
baby to breast in 12 hours assuming all feedings go well and involve breastmilk
only.

He finds my interest in this a little weird but endearing, so I'm hoping to
change our automated order set too.  Help me pray that this baby does not
have a lot of postoperative swelling, because I really need this first time to go
well!

Shannon Tierney McElearney, MD, MS
Resident, General Surgery
nursing mama to Jack (3 1/2) and future breast surgeon