From:
Sandy Hess <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 09:47:33 -0400
If the AAP does not accept the research on the effect of co-sleeping on
SIDS as valid or adequate or strong (or whatever) enough to conclude a
relationship, and if they recommend caution in co-sleeping, where does
that put us?

Are we at risk of a lawsuit if   1.  We are aware of the AAP's statement
on this issue
2.    We recommend co-sleeping to a mother, and 3.  Her baby *happens*
to die of SIDS (or diagnosed suffocation)?   If sued,  is it fairly
possible that the jury would find for the plaintiff?

I tend to be cautious in situations like these.  When I give my
presentation on "ABCs of  Telephone Assessment" at conferences or
workshops, this is an example I toss out for consideration under "L" for
legal considerations.  (BTW  the tool only goes to "P" --  and at the
end of the presentation most in the group can conduct a thorough
assessment without looking at their notes - in case someone was
wondering if there were 26 points to the assessment tool!  After all,
the purpose of the tool is to be able to conduct  -- and later record
--a thorough telephone assessment when you are cooking spaghetti and do
not have a consult form readily available when the mother calls!)

I think it would be wise to adhere to the principle of informed consent
when we approach issues like this.  We can tell the mother that "some
researchers and many, many women have found that........." but also,
that "the AAP has made a statement that..........."  and go into the
pluses and (potential) minuses associated with co-sleeping.

The more co-sleeping becomes a health care issue......and it seems to be
heading in that direction, the more we need to consider this legal
angle.

Does anyone have any "official" information which would more clearly
guide us on this issue?

Sandy Hess