Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 06:58:54 -0500
I don't have an alternative, because I am not sure what they are trying to
do with this drug.  But let me suggest two alternatives.  One, no medication
at all.  Two, go with the ativan and keep an eye on the baby.  Despite Dr.
Hale's caution, use of this drug for a week is unlikely to cause problems.
The study he quotes which most closely resembles this particular situation
actually resulted in very low milk levels.  And he concludes "the amount of
lorazepam secreted into milk would be clinically insignificant under most
conditions".

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC