From:
celia fuentes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 00:17:16 -0500
I have never heard a woman say that she knew formula was probably
number 4 on the list of things to feed a baby, and that she knew
there were many benefits for both baby and child (bonding, immnunity
boost, etc), but that she just didn't want to breastfeed.... period.

What I do hear is that some women stop because they didn't have the
support they needed: no tips to successfully start breastfeeding
(let's face it, most of us don't have mothers who have advice based
on experience), no tips on feeding herself to help milk supply, no
one to help take care of other children while she breastfeds,
breastfeeding and working, etc. This is where support from other
mothers who have breastfed and/or LCs is vital!

I also sometimes come across an annoying article, which I can't help
feeling is meant to upset me. The kind written by Debra Picket. The
commentary describes what an agony the whole subject is to her and of
course it ridicules the people who try to support breastfeeding. But
I don't get annoyed.  I find it amusing, really. If she finds the
prospect of breastfeeding sooooo awful, why go to a class about it?
She sounds more like a woman trying to keep up with the Jones, than
having an open mind on the subject. The girlish tone rings of someone
who is following a fad she doesn't like, and dutifully follows it
because that is the current fad.

It isn't a fad. I was tempted to respond to the author (there was a
link back to the blog) to state that I've breastfed, and still went
to coffee shops, the movies, park, had fun, had a life, did not
suffer pain, loved it, etc. But I decided against it. I honestly feel
that commentaries like that are not meant to start a healthy debate
on a woman's right to decide to breastfeed (and be able to follow
through) or not, but more of an inflammatory text meant to undermine
breastfeeding and those who work hard to support it. How can a text
so full of stereotypes be anything else?

Cheers,

Celia
Montreal, Canada