From:
MARY BLACK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 09:38:37 +1000
"I am currently going "to hell and back".   2 weeks ago I was turning a
Caesarian Section over on her side to nurse her baby - another RN walked in
with the baby which I took and latched to the breast - after checking that
all was well I went off to the nursery to do other work only to discover
that the wrong baby had been put the breast.The hospital is now conducting an investigation"

 Oh dear, it happens to all of us - a minor issue that can hit us at the wrong time and really upset us.

After many years I now accept that this kind of thing sort of genuine mistake inevitably happens to any health professional. The best thing to do is take a dep breath and just deal with it as calmly and professionally as possible and then move on. It sounds like you have done all the right stuff, admitted it, apologised, the mother seems to be ok about it. The hospital investigation will run its course and the main thing is not to be defensive or upset. Be just calm and matter of fact and try not to focus on it as will only get you upset. If you can manage to do this then your ain goal which is to get it over with a quickly as possible with no lingering consequences will be much more say.

Another useful thing is to come up with your own solutions. For example, if you tell them it was a genuine error, and that there is nothing wrong with hospital protocol, then there is nothing more they need to do except remind everyone what the protocol is - you can even offer to do that for them by incorporating the reminder into all your in service training and briefing for new staff.

It will pass, just learn as much as possible, use whatever opportunities that present to improve your own understanding and use this in every way possible to grow and develop.

After sitting on many such "panels" looking at "errors" I can assure you that what most panel members want is for it to be settled and to deal with a mature and professional staff member who is putting clients concerns and not her own angst first.

And finally, - don't weep all over the shoulders of your colleagues at work - take that stuff out on your partner, pet, pillow or join a kick boxing class.

Good luck, hold your head high and move on. If you want any details of stupid stuff I have done in the past feel free to ask - I have a great list, including the time I nearly amputated the wrong leg......

Kind regards

Mary E Black
(wondering why we don't get taught how to handle our mistakes when we train to be lc's, doctors, nurses, midwives etc)