From:
Valerie McClain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 07:03:05 -0800
It is truly amazing that imagination can become reality.  Years ago, writers imagined travel into space and we now view it as reality not science fiction.  So the advent of gm(genetically modified)baby milks is not surprising.  I read of this possibility 10 years ago.  In a perfect world, where profit-motive would not be the driving force in research and development, one would celebrate our ability to create such a substance.  But the reality is that we live in an imperfect world governed by the driving-force of profit.

It is interesting to note that the VP of the US research site for gm baby milk says that since this product is a nutritional product, it will not go through the same type of clinical trial process that a pharmaceutical product would.(Daily Mail, Jan.13,2000)I assume this means less testing.  I guess what seems so ironic is the millions that are probably spent on this project.  Millions that could have been invested in encouraging breastfeeding or put into milk banking but instead are invested in an artificial milk.  And we know that millions more will be spent on advertising this product. Imagine, if we had that money and could build a world-wide network of milk banks(women who didn't want to breastfeed would purchase their milk at the milk bank).  Or imagine using that money in the promotion of breastfeeding!  My science fiction book would be a world of breastfeeding women, milk banks, and of course the aliens trying to subvert breastfeeding and the milk bank system.  Guess who the aliens are? Valerie W. McClain, IBCLC   in the Milky Way Paradise of Lost Dreams