Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:36:34 -0800
I was sitting here reading mail, and read a couple of the thumb sucking
posts, and then realized I had my little finger in my mouth.  I am a
closet thumb sucker.  Hi, My name is Joylyn, and I suck my thumb (or
finger). (not to make fun of 12 step programs.)  And to add to that, I
don't think it's a habit that necessarily needs to be broken.  It's far
better than a dummy (love that term).  My six year old sucks her thumb
and when her sister fell and broke her hip and my husband left the house
(a good thing, really, for him to leave, sometimes divorce is good), her
thumb sucking time went way up.  I was glad she had that to comfort her,
and sorta wished she still nursed.  I do think the fact she had her
thumb did lead to early weaning, but in her case she weaned at 4 1/2
years old, and I doubt very many people would call that early---I just
think she would have nursed a bit longer if she had not been a thumb
sucker.

btw, Lexie got her cast off today.  Her hip looks good, the bone does
not appear to have begun to die, but we are not sure that it still won't
happen.  It does look good, though.  She was so excited about getting
the cast off, and even though I warned her that she would not be able to
get up and start running, I don't think she realized how hard it would
be.  She is in a bit of pain, and learning to use the crutches is hard.
She did take a long bath, and I have never seen so much dead skin in my
life!  Her skin is dry and sensitive.  But she is young and I think
within a week she'll be more stable on the crutches, and she'll have a
wheel chair that fits her (she had to have an adult wide because of the
cast) and that will help with her mobility.  The Jewish Federation of
Greater Long Beach found a grant (from an anonymous donor) who is paying
for a home health care worker for 6-9 more weeks, so she is well cared
for while I am at work (and the home health care person cares for Janene
too, so the girls are not separated.)

Thank you all for your cards, it helped so much to get mail every day!

Joylyn