From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 21:08:39 +0200
Agreeing with Kathleen Bruce here; that baby's weight gain is actually
better than I would expect in an infant with his history.  He is continuing
to gain even as he learns to feed straight from the breast.  We are becoming
a bit more tolerant of weight standstills at that stage, at least for a few
days, and he is going up!
Continued support and close follow up, and let mother know that even if baby
falls asleep at the breast, it doesn't have to mean he is worn out, it can
also mean he is relaxed and feels safe and loves being there.
If she is used to the hectic, almost panicky way some babies take their
feeds from bottles, she may need to adjust her frame of reference to see his
behavior at her breast as the norm.
I am neurotic enough to want to make sure she still has a pump available to
use if she feels sure he really hasn't done his job at any particular feed,
and would encourage giving expressed milk by SNS so as not to miss any
opportunity for him to breastfeed.
Rachel Myr
Norway
where this week I got to follow the first case I have ever had where
frenotomy seemed clearly, unequivocally indicated, and we got it done
speedily on day 5 with a minimum of resistance despite our docs not really
buying the idea that it can interfere with BF, and with immediate relief of
mother's nipple pain.  Hooray!