From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:37:52 EDT
I have enjoyed Jay's comments regarding the absurdity of the nursing staff
being forced to shuttle a newborn around on the whim of a pedi without regard to
the family's needs.
In the hospital where I'm employed, (9000+ deliveries/yr), this doesn't
occur. Pedis, I assume, are just as busy as in other hospitals but they simply
locate the baby (not too hard-either Mom's room or the nursery!). Most exams are
done in the rooms. Many times they will interrupt one of my consults but not
one has insisted on examining the baby at that moment, ALL have offered to come
back and see the baby once I'm done, many exclaiming "I'll come back, this
(breastfeeding) is more important!   " Gotta love that.
I did have 1 OB who reported me to my supervisor for not immediately leaving
the room upon his entrance. Since he didn't introduce himself and I had no
idea who he was, this was just silly!
As Kathleen mentioned, Moms need to change this. Could we help them by
providing more info (better info?!) prenatally?
Shouldn't we be extolling the benefits of rooming in, skin/skin in EVERY
childbirth and breastfeeding class, complete with referenced handouts?   Does any
hospital involve the OBs/CNMs in this process? This, IME, is essential.   I
think about all the years I spent in NICUs, nurseries (along with many other
nurses,I'm sure!) extolling   the necessity of breastmilk for premies but it
(seemingly) takes the neos in the NICUS and the Bobbi Phillips (MDs) of the world
to effect the REAL jumps in breastfeeding numbers.
Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc--getting sleep LAST week, as my 2 youngest were away
at camp and having given up on knowing where my 18yo, ready to leave for
college daughter is, that is until I broke my fooot-sleep eludes me again!
Franklin,Massachusetts