From:
Maureene griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 14:33:28 -0500
Cindy,

Just today, I saw a poster promoting a similar program at a military
hospital where I do prn work as an L & D nurse on the night shift.  The
program, "Drugs in Lactation", is being presented by the sales
representative for the formula company.  :( :( :( Grrrrrrrr!!!  I hit the
roof!  Thank goodness I was undressing in the locker room.  Otherwise, I
would have run out screaming, "Are you all crazy???"  It truly fascinates
me:)!

You see, I just did a program two weeks ago at this hospital on
Breastfeeding Advocacy and Support, team building and the like.  We worked
on breastfeeding promotion activities (like getting rid of anything that
promotes formula feeding, get my drift?).  I'm sure you are feeling as I
do-you just can't believe that such a thing could happen.  I know they were
listening to me.

It is a covert way for these companies to get their message across to
health care professionals.  I'll be talking to the 'boss' about it.  I'm
even going to offer presenting a similar lecture myself.  What is this
person going to say about Drugs and Lactation-drugs and breastfeeding don't
mix so use our formula!!!????  I wouldn't be surprised a bit.

Even though these great people are sending me business, I won't compromise
my ethics.  I hope, because most of my colleagues respect my opinions,
they'll listen to me.  Listen to your heart and follow your brain.  You are
doing the right thing!

Good Luck,

Maurenne Griese, RNC, BSN, CCE, CCE, BZE(Breastfeeding Zealot
Extraordinaire)
Birth and Breastfeeding Resources
Manhattan, KS USA
griese@ networksplus.net