From:
Judy Canahuati <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 23:13:34 -0600
Dear friends:

This is a note I received from the Portuguese network.  Hopefully we can
find our way to giving some support to countries all over the world such as
Pakistan, who are trying to curb the aggressive practices of the companies.

Best wishes, Judy

Dear IBFANers and friends around the world,

I am contacting you with a plea to assist Pakistan in implementing the
International Code and Resolutions.  You may already have been contacted by
other IBFAN partners about this.  A good draft law has been produced, but
Nestlé are trying hard to have it weakened.  Nestlé is pressing to be
allowed to sit on the National Infant Feeding Board which will oversee
implementation of the law.  The draft law currently forbids anyone with a
vested interest in the infant formula/baby food industry
>from sitting on the board.  As we all know from our own experience, Nestlé
will use a seat on the board to weaken its operation.  I would like to
suggest that IBFAN groups send a fax to Mr. Hasan Pasha, the Secretary for
Health, using the fax number +92 51 9205481  with a copy
>sent to our IBFAN partner in Pakistan, The Network, Association for the
Rational Use of Medication in Pakistan, fax number  +92 51 291552

I suggest we need to send the following information:

*  Who you are and the role of your organisation
*  Your concern about violations of the International Code and Resolutions
by Nestlé and other companies based on your own experience
*  The need for  independent, transparent and effective controls on the
marketing of the baby food and bottle and teat industry
*  Any experience you have had of Nestlé or other companies attempting to
undermine the operation of regulations in your country

Postal addresses are:

Mr. Hassan Pasha,
Secretary for Health,
Ministry of Health,
"C" Block, Federal Secretariat,
Islamabad,
Pakistan.

The Network,
60-A,
St: 39,
F-10/4,
Islamabad,
Pakistan.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Mike Brady
Campaigns and Networking Coordinator
Baby Milk Action
"La Lactancia Materna: Educación para la Vida " Semana Mundial de Lactancia
Materna, 1999

Judy Canahuati, MPhil, IBCLC
PO Box #512
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Telephone: +504-550-9737
Fax:       +504-550-7482
E-mail:    [log in to unmask]

"The future is not some place we are going to, but one we are creating.
The paths are not to be found, but made, and the activity of making them
changes both the maker and the destination."  John Schaar