Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 10:17:38 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
"But Righard's research found that it took an *average* of 50 minutes for babies to attach" 

It has always bothered me that we keep looking at how long it takes a baby to attach to a *dead* mother, as if that's any more normal.  

Only an unconscious mother or one who's participating in a study would be able to keep her hands to herself while her newborn did all the work.  I'd love to see a study of second-time nursing mothers (as an easier-to-find substitute for first-time mothers who grew up watching normal breastfeeding.  My guess is their babies tend to be happily at breast within minutes.

But that's neither here nor there.  It sure seems that the only way to protect breastfeeding reliably is to get the births out of the hospitals and bring them back home.  Oh, the boost that would give to breastfeeding!!!  

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY  USA, who ***almost never*** gets a call for help from the area's homebirth midwives - and then it's virtually always an anatomical or hormonal issue

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2