From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 06:26:56 -0600
I hope that this historical discussion will not have to stop because of
misunderstanding, leading to offense being take, on religious bases.  I
think those who have taken offense, from a religious standpoint,
misunderstand the intentions of the OP, as well as the history of religious
influence in Europe.  In the history of Europe, the church and the
government were often one and the same, and that made for a totally
different situation than most of us (especially Americans), can fathom.
Hopefully, someone who can explain it better than I will do so, but I hope
that, in the meantime, those who have taken offense on a religious basis
will try to understand and avoid taken offense.  I can pretty well guarantee
that no offense to anyone's church or religious belief was intended.

Aloha,
Darillyn