From:
JOKR PANZER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:37:20 +0000
Would pre/post feed weighs be appropriate in the following situation:  with
day 3 infant weight loss approaching 10% and mothers milk not yet in
physician ordered supplement after breastfeeds, volume not specified. At 3
days 12 hrs (about midnight) mother noticed significant breast changes, d/c
supp and fed through night, at morning weigh noted baby continued to lose,
now>10%. Physician ordered to continue to offer supplement post breastfeed.
Upon observation baby latches well, normal suck, visible audible signs of
milk transfer.  Her nurse and I are exploring alternatives together to
discuss with physician.
-Do nothing, observe/assist with effective breastfeeds, reassess at midnight
weight check. Obviously, the physician has a concern with this approach...
-Have mother pump and offer expressed breastmilk after breastfeeds. The
nurse's concern here is maternal exhaustion and overwhelming this mother who
is post c-sec.
-Offer formula supplement post breastfeed. My concern is overwhelming baby
with too much volume thereby delaying next breastfeed, impacting maternal
supply, as well as possible risks to baby of artificial milk. As you may
imagine nurse thinks I am overstating what is only a marginal, theoretical
concern......
-What about test weights? Nurse fears that if we don't get the volume we are
looking for (about 1.5 oz ballpark) we send a powerful, negative
psychological message to mother....she may very well be right. On the other
hand if there was good transfer we could d/c supplement and the bother of
expressing.
thank you in advance for your help-
Kristen Panzer MS IBCLC