From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:51:52 +1100
What people who want to help need to know is to whom they should donate
money. Believe it or not it is actually quite difficult for aid orgs to get
funding for infant feeding projects. Organisations that I am aware of that
are doing IFE work in Haiti are UNICEF, Care, Save the Children and Action
Against Hunger. They have a huge job!!!!! The amount of donations of formula
flooding from the US is truly staggering. I've never seen anything like it.
If the Milk Bank can pass this info onto people contacting them this would
be helpful. If people can tell orgs that they are donating because of their
IFE program that's even better.
The reality that many people find difficult to understand is that in
emergencies it's a matter of making decisions that will result in the fewest
possible deaths. People think "there are babies without mothers, we must
send formula"- but when conditions are very bad babies that have not had
access to breastmilk have died well before any of that formula arrives. So,
when the formula arrives the breastfed babies are breastfeeding, babies are
being born. The formula gets distributed and then the babies that could be
breastfeeding start dying. THE MOST IMPORTANT WAY OF ENSURING THAT MOST
BABIES SURVIVE IS TO MAKE SURE THAT EVERY BABY BORN AFTER THE EMERGENCY IS
EXCLUSIVELY BREASTFED.
The amount of formula needed to help babies that have somehow managed to
survive without breastmilk is tiny in comparison to what arrives.
Karleen Gribble
Australia