From:
Susan R Potts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 22:41:24 -0500
Dear friends,
      Several years ago, I, as a staff nurse, got the brush off from a
pt. with 35-36 gestation twins and a c/s.  This is not meant to be a
negative comment, only a statement of fact:  The pt. had been very active
in LLL and refused my help.  She said something about hospitals usually
do harm with breastfeeding.   Little did she know I was the most
breast-feeding friendly nurse on the floor that evening!  Sure enough, 2
days later the peds doc made the call that the babies were losing too
much weight and ordered formula.  One twin did eventually nurse well, but
the other twin never did and was bottle fed ebm.  We did  not have a
lactation program yet, and no LC to work with the mom and doc for an
acceptable feeding plan to both.
       These poor moms who come in to the hospital on the defensive from
the beginning.

       Susan in Minnesota
        rn ibclc