From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 11:20:48 -0800
A few weeks back I posted about Xylitol being used for fighting ear and
sinus infections, allergies and asthma.  I see many moms who have breast
yeast as a result of antibiotics given for their own sinus infections and
their babies ear infections, so I think this is very relevant.   I've been
deluged with requests for info, so here it is posted:

The xylitol may be purchased from:
XLEAR, Inc. 877-599-5327 ( I don't have any interest in this company.)  One
bottle is $12.95 (if you buy two and mention Alternatives newsletter, you
get s/h free).

For most allergies and preventing mild asthma, the following is recommended:
Three-four times a day, spray each nostril twice.  When you spray your nose,
look at your toes.

The xylitol/saline spray is really just a wash, but a bacterial wash.  It
simply helps the nose and immune system do what they would naturally do on
their own.  When allergens, pollutants, or bacteria invade the nose, our
immune system tries to flush out the irritants.

The professional reference/citation for this is:
Jones.  (2000). J Dent Re 96(11):1892-900  This study found that kids
chewing  gum containing a total of 10 gms of sylitol experienced 40% fewer
ear infections.  Further research showed that  enough xylitol got into the
nasal cavity to decrease the numbers of Streptococcus pneumoniae by 68%.
The researchers also showed a major decrease in asthmatic symptoms. Dr.
Jones tried to get FDA approval for this as a therapeutic agent, but was
told that xylitol was already classified as a food and sweetener.

Let me know if it works for you.
chris

--
--Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
INFANT CUISINE AND MOTHER CARE: Lactation Consulting, Perinatal Health