From:
"Henry, Felicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:35:52 -0800
When I discuss latch on and first breastfeeding sessions with my students I
always point out that breastfeeding shouldn't hurt.  But sometimes it will
be a bit tender at first.  I point out that a little pain at first latch
until the milk begins to flow can be normal the first weeks or two (I
remember someone here on Lactnet once saying that the milk sinus are getting
compressed by a small newborn mouth and aren't used to it, especially when
full of milk).  But I point out if the pain lasts throughout the feeding,
after a feeding they need to get some help with latch.  They should never
have blisters, cracks, or bleeding and if their nipples are red, pink or
flakly then it could be yeast.

I also point out that compression is what gets the milk out - not suction,
so using a breast pump shouldn't hurt and that there are some breast pumps
on the market that shouldn't be used because they rely on suction to get the
milk out (so mom gets pain and no milk).

On a personal note, I did experience painful nursing with my fourth.  Which
was a great surprise since I was still nursing my 3rd - with no pain - put
for the first week when my youngest would latch I would jump in pain until
the milk started flowing.

Felicia Henry
Bradley Instructor
LLLL