From:
Carolyn Westcott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:37:33 +0000
Lisa's story of the baby with short gut syndrome reminds me of a baby
born here in the UK with this 3 years ago.
She was sent home for palliative care, not expected to survive. When she
did not die a friend of the family gave some of her breastmilk (a
private arrangement between friends). Baby survived, and indeed still
does. Went on to have donor milk, it was all she could tolerate for
almost 2 years. Milk banks here provided her with 5-6 litres each week.
She is a lovely child, but I don't know what her eventual outcome will
be.
Mum did not establish her milk supply, as she was told her baby would
not survive, then for various reasons did not re-lactate.
Had it not been for the generosity of all the women who spent their time
and energy expressing for the milk banks, the baby would not have
survived.
Regards,
--
Carolyn Westcott RN IBCLC Southampton UK
mailto:[log in to unmask]