From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 11:18:22 -0400
This is not really a breastfeeding issue, but as one who is in Public
Health and has seen the difference (ALL babies who died of SIDS last year
in our county were on their tummies and were not breastfed and had smoking
in the household), I have to take exception to the statement:

It is also important to explain to parents to place baby on his/her side
and to
alternate sides, to prevent flat heads.

We are stressing (in California) that "Back to Sleep" is just that - on the
BACK, not on the side, as babies can easily roll over on their fronts from
their sides and placing pillows, etc to keep them on their side can cause
MORE problems.  However, we are also stressing "tummy time" (Back to sleep,
front to play, and a little sunshine every day...)

To bring it back to breastfeeding - I love to hear more and more
researchers mentioning "breastfeeding" as the second or third way to
prevent SIDS (back to sleep and no smoking being the others), THEN they
mention the bedding, etc - just today on NPR (National Public Radio) it was
mentioned...

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA