From:
Hanna Graeffe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 03:56:38 +0200
From:    [log in to unmask]
Subject: Mom's diet/allergies
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 18:56:09 EST

Jan Barger wrote:
"And a nearly-newborn allergic to ALL these
things?  Sounds a wee bit odd to me."

Well, it's probably not very usual, but not unheard of. There really
are 100% breastfed babies who for some reason develop food allergies
very early. And very often it's not just one or two things. But I
guess there are many countries where there simply aren't so many fully
breastfed babies that one could see how allergies are possible even
with a start like that. And then in some countries (at least in some
European countries), the children are not at all allergic, they just
have atopic exzema and a lot of red rash all over their body ;)

I lead a breastfeeding support group in our town, and last week, we
had five mothers with allergic babies. Ofcourse, these mothers are
over-represented as they seem to need more information and support for
continuing breastfeeding despite obstacles caused by the food
allergies (many of them have to avoid certain foods, some face
criticism from the allergologists who find it easier to have the baby
on a special formula etc.). (Plus they know I have personal experience
on the subject.)