From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 19:10:21 -0400
LLLI has a great deal of information on the BF diabetic mother.  The first
mom  I had  was a brittle diabetic (back in the 70's when there was NO info
on BF and diabetes.  Diabetic moms simply didn't BF  :-(   She had to
drastically lower her insulin requirements and up her caloric intake.  She
did this very timidly with first baby and spent a lot of time scrambling,
with sx of too much insulin on board.  With 2nd baby she adjusted insulin
down much more rapidly and increased calories appropriately and did lots
better.  The next time she had problems was during weaning when she had to
cut her calories and gradually increase her insulin back up to more normal
levels.  Of course back then we didn't have the neat little glucose
monitors or insulin pumps and very little info  was available.
My gut feeling is that you will need to  look at the whole, rather than
concentrating on individual  nursings or her levels  will  be all over the
place.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ