From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:00:23 -0600
>Re: Milky fluid behind eardrums
>
>Bonnie, the official CDC/AAP word on "milky fluid behind the ear drums" -
>serous otitis - is that antihistamines do NOT help.  However, like you, in
>real life I have not found this to be true.  Antihistamines do seem to help
>some children and worth at least a trial.

Tubes also help!  My son Peter, now 13, still has his second set of tubes
(put in when he was five) -- the fluid behind his eardrums had built up and
then gelled or solidified such that it interfered with his hearing.  When
he got his first tubes at age 3, his speech really took off.
-------
Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.                         email:
Anthropology Department                               phone: (409) 845-5256
Texas A&M University                                    fax: (409) 845-4070
College Station, TX  77843-4352
http://www.prairienet.org/laleche/dettwyler.html