From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 08:08:31 EST
Teresa writes;
>>I don't understand why, when a toddler is not eating very much, doctors so
often suggest weaning. Surely if the child isn't eating a lot, we should be
pleased that at least he is getting plenty of a highly nutritious food in
breastmilk. Yes, I understand concerns about iron and getting enough
calories - but I can't see how we improve the situation by taking away the
one thing the child is consuming in good amounts. <<

Sorry if this comes a little late, I'm behind in the posts.....
My guess is that HCPs "expect" that a developmentally healthy 15mth old will
be eating solids well and when confronted with the contrary, they begin to
question whether the breastfeeding is becoming part of an unhealthy
relationship between Mom and babe. Perhaps even to the degree that they
wonder whether Mom is "enabling" or "encouraging" or even "forcing" this babe
to continue what they see as developmentally inappropriate behavior. Thus I
don't think that most doubt the quality of the breastmilk (how could they?)!
but instead question the environment that provides it.
Although ignorant (and I mean this in the best possible way :)  ), this
shouldn't be surprising in a society (U.S) where there is very little
experience with continued nursing.
Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin,Massachusetts-shoveling out from under a 2ft. snow fall!