From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 23:44:00 EST
In a message dated 3/9/1 5:01:40 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Well, small hospitals are not going to be able to perform VBACs, therefore
the woman wishing to have a VBAC living in  a rural area (such as me)  will
have to go to the big city to have her baby.  How many are going to do this
as opposed to having a repeat scheduled c-section?  >>

How many indeed. Exactly the point, I would say. I was told awhile ago by a
VBAC-friendly doc that women in this community will have much better luck
having VBAC's at home since OB's have been told to lower the rate of
attempted VBAC's. Of course, no one takes into account that all of the
interventions (inductions, pit, etc) place more stress on the uterus, thus
creating the risks everyone is suddenly afraid of. If the attitude from the
start is that the mother will likely have a repeat cesarean, then she is more
likely to have multiple interventions, so that even if she succeeds, she has
more to overcome in getting bf going well. This is the kind of thing that
makes me crazy when HCP's claim that interventions are so high b/c mothers
want them. Clearly, mothers want VBAC's, so who exactly is in control here?
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA