From:
Lyla Wolfenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:54:33 -0800
Greetings,

I am posting this for a friend who lives in another state, so I have not
been able to see her personally.  2nd baby is 5 months old.  approximately
2 months ago, she noticed a painful white spot on her nipple and called
me.  She has a history of plugged ducts, and has taken lecithin for much of
her nursing "career".  We figured it was a bleb, and she treated it as
such, but it never went away, and in fact got worse.  She called me again,
and after many questions, I began to suspect it was yeast, and she felt
that was the case too.  The symptoms fit, and she began APNO and gentian
violet (2 rounds of 4-5 days each).  It seemed to improve a little bit, but
then returned, and stayed.  We talked again, and she succeeded in getting a
2 week scrip for diflucan 400 mg loading, 100 or 200 (not sure which) BID
for 2 weeks.  No improvement.  SHe continued the APNO through all this.

I began to feel concerned that it was something unrelated to breastfeeding,
and since I haven't seen it, I really want someone who knows what they are
looking at to see it!  I worry about Paget's of course, but i wonder if it
could be something dermatological, as well.  It is unilateral.  On my
urging, she called her dermatologist (she does have rosacea and another
condition i cannot remember that causes rough skin patches) to make an
appointment for those conditions and ask about the nipple issue.  her derm.
said he wouldn't treat lactating mothers for the nipple issue, because it
was a breastfeeding/milk duct issue, not dermatological.  He made an
appointment for her several weeks out for the other conditions.  I am
floored by this.

Anyhow, I suggested she call the lactation center at her local hospital to
get a referral for a dermatologist.  If anyone has any imput or ideas I
would really welcome them, what could this be??

Also, if anyone lives in the Kansas City, KS area and knows of a
knowledgable dermatologist or someone else she might see, i would welcome
that referral as well.

Thanks so much,

Lyla Wolfenstein, B.S., IBCLC, RLC
www.beyondbirthservices.com