From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 23:03:02 +0200
This is another example of why it is vital that we NEVER forget that the
goal must be to enable mothers and babies to be together- at least guarantee
mothers paid leave for the full 6 months the WHO recommends exclusive
breastfeeding, and longer if at all possible.  On-site child care would be
another logical option.  Bottle feeding recedes into the far horizon.
Pumping long term becomes a non-issue, which makes everyone happy except
perhaps those whose income is dependent on pump use.

That is also why we cling to our legally protected breastfeeding breaks
here, to be a beacon for other countries where things are not as progressive
as here.  Mothers can take up to one hour a day, as they see fit, as long as
they are breastfeeding.  The law does not give any age limit for the child.
Public employees get up to two hours, with pay, and the law and the contract
state that it is the mother's needs, not the employer's which counts for the
most when figuring out how to take the time.

On the down side, we in Norway are dealing with calls for equality between
parents, giving more of the one year of 'baby' leave to the father.  Parents
can split it now, but most don't.  Mothers stay home, fathers work outside
the home.  Some of our politicians think it will be a good thing if mothers
and fathers spend equal time with the children from 6 weeks on.  I think
they are forgetting about breastfeeding, which is something that can happen
when it is the cultural norm.  It's just part of the background, we don't
even see it!  All the more reason to be very ferocious about the
breastfeeding breaks.  Sure, father can stay home, and bring baby to mother
at work for feeds.

My son's teacher did this.  He and his wife work at the same school.  They
live a five minute walk away.  She was home for the first 6 months.  Then it
was summer and they were both home.  Baby was 8 months when she returned to
her class and father was home til December, taking multiple walks each day
to the teachers' lounge to rendezvous with the food supply.  No big traumas
and breastfeeding continued well past a year.

I have great sympathy for mothers in Jessica's situation.  Either way, they
lose something and it is obscene to make women choose between income to live
on or feeding their children normally.  It doesn't have to be this way!

Rachel Myr
indignant in Norway
and don't EVEN get me started on these custody cases. GRRRRR.