From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 18:50:06 -0600
I have been contacted by a free lance journalist who is doing an article on the lack of Milk Banks in Canada (there is one in Vanocouver, but it is struggling).

She is breastfeeding a 17 month old daughter, became interested in the story after recent media stories on milk banking in Canada.  It sounds like she was motivated to write the article since she didn't like the way the other media seemed to frame breastfeeding:  she wrote "it would deal more with actual milk banks, not just how comforting
breast feeding can be!"

I already interviewed with her by phone, and am preparing a list of other contacts or information to email to her to support her article.  She hopes to get it printed in a Cdn daily newspaper or in a parenting magazine.

It sounds like she was a "normal" bfing mom before starting to write this article (I mean, not already an "advocate" and informed about all the issues - she was "just" breastfeeding).  But she is somewhat informed now, and very interested by these new (to her) issues.

What contacts/information/articles should I send to her? She will be interviewing the Cdn milk bank, and Mead Johnson, and would like to interview someone from Cdn Pediatric Society and Health Canada.  She will also interview a user of the milk bank.

When she said she was going to interview Mead, she said she had heard about the new DHA formula - who/where can she get good information to put in her article?

I will refer her to the recent Chicago Tribune article - but I don't want it to influence her - this is a second chance for us to do better!

Thoughts?

Janice Reynolds