From:
Pam Cawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 09:39:45 -0700
My references indicate that iron supplementation, while it likely is not
harmful to baby, is unecessary for the first 5 - 6 months of life (if
baby born at term) due to maternal iron stores transferring to baby in
the last trimester...and unecessary for preterms for the first 2 - 3
months approx.....depending on how preterm their birth.

I now have two moms .... who have physicians who are insistent on iron
supplementation from birth (and who recommends iron in formula as
well)..as well as vitamins....indicating this as a mandatory nutritional
standard of care.  I have done a brief search and I need to go more
indepth..but so far I have not come across a change in research...

This would not be of concern..but in both cases baby is very irritable,
...breast feeding well, gaining weight etc....and I was wondering about
the possiblity of the iron acting as an irritant...at least as something
to consider.

Please note I am not acting as a lactation consultant to these
moms......this is more in the realm of new mother baby
consultation....One of these moms has seen a lactation consultant who I
have talked to and she is leaning the same way as myself...my the mom is
reluctant to not give the iron since the pediatrician "ordered" it.

Any thoughts on this....??  Thanks in advance

Pam Novak Cawely RN., BSN, MEd                  @
Langara College                                 @
Vancouver,B.C.                                  @
e-mail:  pcawley @langara.bc.ca                 @