From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:52:18 EDT
Dear Friends:
    I am staffing our local warmline for this holiday weekend and got a
question about the safety of Prozac for a 3-month baby during breastfeeding. I read
excerpts from Hale's book to her and we chatted a bit.
    The problem is that she HAS to return to her job. She and her husband
have strategized and discussed and tried to find a way for her to stay home
longer. They can't. She gets so upset and anxious at the thought of leaving her
baby that her physician prescribed a SSRI.
    She isn't depressed. She is sad. Mothers should be able to stay home with
their little babies, and not suffer this separation. Mothers have always
worked; it is only in the past 100 years that they have had to separate from them.
This is another side effect of toxic capitalism, where the health of the
future is not as important as earning money.
    sigh.
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child Adjunct Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human Lactation
Support the WHO Code and the Mother-Friendly Childbirth Initiative