From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 17:27:30 -0600
>anybody w/ any idea how
>much fat a 12 month old requires on a daily basis (RDA?)? there's a mom in
>our group whose pedictrician is giving her grief about not supplementing
>w/ dairy (due to family allergies). baby is 5th %ile on growth charts for
>weight, 10th for height and about 25 for head circ.

Deborah -- surely you jest???  The doctor wants the mother to give DAIRY to
increase the child's fat intake???  Is she growing a calf, or a human?  This
is so stupid it's left me speechless (a good trick).  If the child is
developmentally on target (sounds like it) and happy and healthy and being
offered a variety of finger/family foods -- don't worry about it.  If the
mother *really* wants to increase fat in the diet, have her take the child
to McDonald's for French fries once a week, and offer small bites of avocado
and/or bacon occasionally.  Ounce for ounce, dairy doesn't have all that
much fat in it, anyway.

Kathy D.
mailto:[log in to unmask]