From:
Barbara Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 09:54:45 -0500
Hi. I'm a new lact-net user so forgive me if I'm posting an issue that's
been covered before. I tried searching the archives but without success.

On Friday I had a mom with a 2 month old come to WIC with an already weaned
from breastmilk baby(as is often the case with babes that come first to WIC
at this age). Mom had a Hgb. of 5.0 and was told to wean by the doctor at
the hospital. Unfortunately, as I am home and this information is in the
office I can't remember the baby's exact birthwt. but it was something like
7lbs. 8 oz. and at 5 weeks, when the baby was still exclusively b.f. the
baby was soomething like 11 lbs. 5 oz. Mom apparently has been plagued by
anemia forever and was also admitted for dehydration at the end of her
pregnancy and seemed to have the impression from her health care providers
that her constant ice chewing was a cause rather than a symptom of her
anemia.

 She's African-American and states that although the Dr. at the hospital
who told her to wean for a time called her every night after she was
discharged she was never told that she had any blood disorder or the trait
of any blood disorder. This is her third baby and she was told upon giving
birth to her second baby that the placenta(or part of it I presume) from
her her first baby was still inside her(is that possible?). She has a
normal ht. and wt.,beautiful skin and looks healthy but c/o being tired all
the time. She reports that she's taking her iron and folic acid everyday.
She wondered if she should start b.f. again.

She said the Dr. does not want her to return to work but that she
financially must and will go back in a few weeks. I encouraged her to apply
for NYS disability although she thinks it's too late, I told her it doesn't
hurt to try.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Barbara Holmes IBCLC