From:
Jay Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 00:33:51 EDT
It is my strongly held oopinion, supported by (most of) the medical
literature, that bilirubin levels under 20-25 do not pose a threat to healthy
full term babies.  Draw no more blood in a baby who is looking good,
urinating and bringing mom's milk in steadily.

We have to continue to help mothers understand the difference between breast
milk jaundice--which is extremely rare -- and breastfeeding technique
jaundice which is common and benign.  I know there are opinions to the
contrary.

Getting this mom to relax and improving latch will help much more than having
her wake up every 1-2 hours.  I do encourage very frequent switching (q 5
minutes) from one breast to the other aver and over until the baby is done to
increase milk flow and decrease .  .  . Worry.

Does anyone have Oski's wonderful old "Vigintiphobia" article?

Jay Gordon