From:
Sam Doak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 09:12:00 -0500
I don't know about research, but I went to a childbirth conference where
Harvey was speaking. There was a baby who was totally miserable, cried the
whole weekend, and her mother did everything she could to help her. Baby was
about 3 months old. Harvey asked permission, held her baby and did the 5Ss
with her. We all gaped in amazement when this baby finally quit crying, and
for the first time in 2 days, seemed less miserable.

The mother had nursed, carried, done what she could. What Harvey did was
organize her. Shush her (loud noise), swing her, the whole thing.

What he doesn't say in the book, but did at the conference, is that feeding
the baby is the first thing. If you have fed, changed and done what you can
for this baby, the 5Ss help reorganize her.

I agree that his mainstream publications should say this first and foremost.
How can you shush a hungry baby? For our (American) culture, his 5Ss seem to
work. Living in an area where child abuse is rampant, I appreciate any tool
possible. Not every baby is willing to nurse for comfort (my 2nd baby
wouldn't!) and not every mother is willing to nurse her baby "all the time".
Just another tool in the box, is how I look at it.

Best wishes from another cold and snowy day!
Sam Doak

<<

Dear Friends:
    I am curious about this method, and the evidence behind the 5 S, that
are
swaddle, side-lying, shushing, swinging and suck.
    This method is billed as a way to for parents to help their baby with
colic or who are difficult to soothe. I asked a certified HBOB instructor
about
this.
    I wonder if swaddling can lead to over-heating. I've emailed several
SIDS
agencies to ask about this. We know from the Matthiesen (Birth, March 2001)
research that babies use their hands to find the breast, which they can't do
if
they are swaddled.
    I wonder why suck is last on the list, and if parents are taught about
the link between pacifier use and ear infections, so well documented in
research
from Finland (Varimo), Brazil (Victora) and more.
    Is there any evidence that says this method is safe for babies and has
only positive impact on the developing personality? (Celebrity endorsements
are
not evidence.)
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI

www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com