From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2005 18:56:44 -0500
Dianne,

I would not be happy about this baby's weight. I look at this as being only
7 ounces above birth weight at 5 weeks of age.

He should have regained his birth weight by 10-14 days and then be up 6-8
ounces per week after.  I would like to see him have gained 18 to 24 ounces
(6-8 ounces times 3 weeks) above his birth weight. Plus he lost 12 ounces
after birth which is 10%. That alone would have been a red flag to me.

To me, this is way too low. Again, I would want some test weights done and I
would recommend some supplementation. I would start with about an ounce
supplementation before every nursing if given in a bottle, or at the breast
in an eyedropper, periodontal syringe, or SNS type thing.

I work with many babies like this and often there is an oral motor problem
which affects their ability to transfer milk. By the time they get help,
mom's supply is often down regulated.

Oh, and by the way, once you start feeding them enough they stop being so
quiet and start demanding to eat!

Kathy Eng, IBCLC, (also LLL Leader)