From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:14:51 -0500
Reading my Lactnets this morning, two emotions come over me.  One is for the mother and baby with organaphospharate(?) poisoning.  What a horrible thing to happen!  I cannot imagine the emotional roller coaster ride this is for the dad.  The emotion is bewilderment and anger for the doctor who would
think it "pressuring" a mother to breastfeed, who had previously made this desire known, but has had a serious complication.  She obviously wanted to breastfeed before this happened, and she seems blessed with a supportive husband, who must also be committed as he is consulting a lactation person on
behalf of his incapacitated wife!  I find it arrogant and personally motivated (for surely if the doc had had a successful breastfeeding experience of her own, she would be moving Heaven and Earth to support this couple, not erecting walls in the name of concern!) for the physician to presume that
the mother would not want, after this complication, what she wanted before it, if it were at all possible!  This dad has to be the buffer and advocate for his wife.  He needs to know the whole story, and he should make the decision, along with his wife if she is able, as to whether they want to
initiate pumping.  But not to offer?!  Whatever happened to informed consent?  If they don't do this now, as someone pointed out, this option may be off the table or at least considerably harder by the time the physician thinks it "safe" to offer it!

My other emotion is happiness and wonderment with a big smile and hugs for Trish who is still gently working on getting her son back to the breast.  Trish, you have displayed such patience and understanding, and gentleness where your son is concerned, from what I have read in your posts, that I am
quite sure your son will be a wonderfully secure young man regardless of whether you ultimately succeed in your quest, which I hope with all my heart you do!  You are a tribute to motherhood!

Marsha, in Indianapolis, where the hum of race cars is in the air!

Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.