From:
royce anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 11:20:21 -0600
I'm curious how many hospitals have NBN's.  Do babie's actually go there
after delivery?  Do they stay with Mom for their assessment, weight,
meds?  Do they go to the nursery at night so "mom can rest"?  Do they
return to the nursery in the morning so the ped can see them?  Are they
given bottles and pacifiers without parental consent?

Our large metro hosp, 250-300 del/mo, level IV NICU, 23 LDRP's, 2 OR's
and 1 RR does initial assessments, wts & meds in NBN.  The baby may have
to stay in NBN for several hours b/c he is "cold" or has "low blood
sugar".  Numerous heel sticks are done and hypoglycemia (accucheck of 39
or 40) is treated with D5W per bottle (on a very rare occasion the babe
may be finger feed D5W).

How do we compare with other areas?

Royce Anderson, Oklahoma City

mailto:[log in to unmask]