Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:06:52 EDT
Ellen -

I'm behind on my reading, so you may already have an answer to your adoption
questions.

I worked with an adoptive mom last fall.  The quick answer is an adoptive mom
pumps for stimulation, uses fenugreek (or metaclopromide or domperidone),
puts the baby to the breast as often as possible once she gets her/him, and
supplements at the breasts with an SNS or Lactaid.

You can look at <A HREF="http://www.fourfriends.com/abrw/">A.B.R.W. -The Adoptive Breastfeeding Resource Website</A> at
http://www.fourfriends.com/abrw/
Also <A HREF="http://www.lact-aid.com/faqad001.htm"> FAQ: Frequently asked questions about nursing an adopted baby</A> at
http://www.lact-aid.com/faqad001.htm
<A HREF="http://users.erols.com/cindyrn/fenuhugg.htm"> Fenugreek: One Remedy for Low Milk Production</A> at
http://users.erols.com/cindyrn/fenuhugg.htm
<A HREF="http://www.bflrc.com/newman/breastfeeding/lact_aid.htm">Using a Lactation Aid</A> at http://www.bflrc.com/newman/articles.htm
<A HREF="http://www.bflrc.com/newman/breastfeeding/domperid.htm">Domperidone</A> at http://www.bflrc.com/newman/breastfeeding/domperid.htm
The LLLI website has a site on adoption.  <A HREF="http://www.lalecheleague.org/bfadopt.html">LLLI--Adoptive Breastfeeding</A> at
http://www.lalecheleague.org/bfadopt.html

Did you check the LLLI catalog?  One reprint and one book:
- "Nursing Your Adopted Baby"
Provides information on bonding and attachment, building a milk supply,
supplementing, and finding a support system. 22 pages,
No 522-24, $2.50
- Breastfeeding the Adopted Baby, Revised Edition
by Debra Stewart Peterson
Can an adopted baby really be breastfed? Yes! This newly revised book
explains step-by-step the process of inducing lactation in a woman who has
not given birth. Adoptive mother Debra Stewart Peterson offers these special
mothers everything they need to enjoy the benefits breastfeeding holds for
both mother and baby. Softcover.
No 63-7, $12.95

Cynthia D. Payne, IBCLC
In the Berkshires of western Massachusetts