From:
"Heather M. Sharp" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 May 2005 18:19:50 -0700
I'm glad this topic was brought up because I have been thinking about
it for some time. First an introduction. I am a RN, IBCLC. I work at a
small community hospital in San Diego. We have about 1200 deliveries a
year. I work 4-8 hours a week as I am mostly an at home mom to a 2 year
old (still nursing 2-4 times a day) and a 5 year old.

One of the main topics on lactnet is how to promote breastfeeding. We
have the benefits of breastfeeding and the risks of not breastfeeding.
I think there is a religious aspect to breastfeeding that should be
promoted.

God created women with breast to feed and nurture their young. The
milk, created by God, is perfect. Formula, created by humans, is less
than perfect. To me, it seems like it would be sinful to not breastfeed
if one is able to. To choose a human creation over God's creation just
seems wrong.

I am not a religious scholar or even particularly good at putting my
ideas into words so I'm putting my idea out there for others to run
with.

Heather Sharp, RN, IBCLC
San Diego, CA