From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:48:56 +0200
Nikki Lee posts about Dr. Meek lecturing under the umbrella of a formula
company, and mentions a number of other professionals who 'have connected
themselves with commercial interests'.

We have on numerous occasions discussed the different ways we (subscribers
and contributors to Lactnet) solve ethical dilemmas of this kind.  We all
need to live somehow, and the conflict between one's own integrity and being
able to put food on the table seems at times to be insoluble.  The code of
ethics for IBCLCs is very clear that IBCLCs must not be beholden to
producers of artificial baby milks, nor must they allow themselves to be
used to promote such products.  They also must not contribute to
idealization of feeding by bottle.

Some of the pump advertisements in JHL are dangerously close to this, in my
not so humble opinion, and they are certainly expressive (pardon the pun) of
a different cultural attitude toward breastfeeding from what surrounds me
daily.  I am confident that if subscribers to JHL debate this issue, it will
lead to a change in editorial policy so that adverts will be more purely
informative and less emotionally suggestive in the future.

Personally I feel it is unfair to lump Dr. Peter Hartmann and Paula Meier,
who have researched the mechanics of milk ejection and of infant swallowing,
together with researchers into ingredients in artificial baby milks, for
having connected himself with commercial interests.  While it is true that
pump manufacturers have an economic interest in mothers' feeding choices,
there is a line between attempting to make pumps for those who do need them
as effective as possible, and attempting to sell an industrially produced
nutritional product as though it were nearly equivalent to breastmilk.  I
might prefer to pay for my own meal with them all in any case, but I view
their 'transgressions' (please note quotation marks) very differently.

If there is any question about whether an IBCLC is giving advice that serves
the interests of a commercial enterprise before the interests of breastfed
children and their mothers, the IBCLC should be confronted directly and
given the opportunity to respond to whatever concerns have arisen about him
or her.  If the response is unconvincing, ILCA would be the logical next
step in a process of trying to stop something possibly unethical.  It's fine
for us to discuss specific incidents here on Lactnet, such as the latest
decision by Dr. Joan Meek to participate in what appears to be a campaign by
Mead Johnson to market their latest product.

I do think we should be careful not to splash mud any farther than it would
normally spatter on its own.  If anyone has a concern about a specific
researcher or practitioner, it should be specifically stated AFTER all
attempts to resolve the problem with the person or entity in question have
failed.  We may have strayed from this ideal in our discussion these past
days about Joan Meek, but she has had an opportunity to reply to the list
and has done so.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway