Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 07:41:43 -0500
I agree with your analysis.  Nothing in the two studies suggests that
complete abstinence is desirable.  Furthermore, I would like to know how
anyone knows how to separate *prenatal* effects of alcohol from
*postnatal* effects.  Given the attitude in North America with regard to
alcohol during pregnancy, is anyone going to admit to alcohol use during
pregnancy?

I cannot understand how it is okay for us to say that any number of
drugs are compatible with breastfeeding, because the baby will get only
a tiny amount and then go ape-sh.. over a tiny amount of alcohol in the
milk, and then advise the mothers they have to "pump and dump" for x
hours.  In Ontario you are too drunk to drive if you have 0.08% alcohol
in your blood.  Well, alcohol is freely diffusable into milk, and if you
have 0.08% in your blood, that's what you'll have in your milk.  Well,
dealcoholised beer has 0.6% alcohol, almost 9 times more than 0.08%.

If the mother is constantly drunk, that is one thing.  But a drink or
two from time to time is not okay?  Ah, come on!!  The French and
Italians must find us incredibly prissy.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC