From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 17:28:22 -0500
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why are we all over Walmart's case for
selling breast pumps and "targeting" BF women? I'm no Walmart fan, but I
know that out in real-life lots and lots of people's buying decisions are
influenced by what's available at Walmart, and when the day comes when
people can see all sorts of pumps & other BF paraphernalia at Walmart, I
think it increases awareness that BF is no big deal. I mean, if you can get
BF stuff at Walmart, how wierd could it be? (Don't answer that - I've only
been in one Walmart, and I saw lots and lots of stuff I thought was pretty
bizarre...)

Is the concern that this will further people's belief that they "need" to
buy stuff to BF? I absolutely hate the commercialization and gadgetization,
of BFing, but just because it's there doesn't mean anyone has to buy it. And
I also think that pumps & other stuff should be sold by people who know what
they're talking about, so they can be of help to those who have questions
and thereby preserve rather than undermine BFing. And, in fact, if you want,
say, a breastpump, it's not a bad thing to be able to just pick one up at
your big superstore while you're out getting the other stuff your family
so-called "needs".

Have I missed something really egregious that they're doing?

Cathy Bargar RN IBCLC Ithaca NY