From:
"Dr. Tom Hale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 12:14:28 -0500
To      : Dr. S. Marske
Re      : Antidepressants during pregnancy

At the present time,  the only antidepressant approved by the FDA for use in
pregnant women is Prozac.  Using any other during pregnancy is probably
risky, both legally and physiologically.  At least we know Prozac is
"probably" safe during this sensitive period.  In the years to come, we will
will probably add Zoloft and Paxil, but not yet.

But once the mother delivers, I would strongly urge you to transfer the mom
to Zoloft or Paxil for the breastfeeding period.  We have rather good
evidence to suggest that Prozac is not the best choice for the breastfeeding
mom.

Regards

Tom Hale, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pediatrics