From:
Leslie White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 14:03:02 -0500
I've been struggling to help a mother with ongoing sore nipples (now ~7
weeks).  One of the suggestions I've received is the possibility of a
high palate.  This baby is gaining very well and appears to be
positioned well, but still a fissure (left nipple) and pain persist.
There has definitely been thrush and she's finding some relief with
Kenakomb.  Probably, thrush is the culprit, but my interest has been
piqued regarding palates.

I've had a good look in the archives and have found some useful
information on management strategies for high palates.  If anyone is
willing to take a few minutes, I'd be grateful for a bit more of an
education.  How obvious is a high palate?  If I allow the baby to suck
on my finger, would I be able to feel it?  What would it feel like?  Do
high palates correct themselves over time?  I understand the tongue is
directly involved in palate formation.

Thanks
Leslie White, LLLL
Deep River ON