From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:44:34 EDT
<< Please do not send-off letters of commentary if you did not see the show
and
 were unable to form your own opinion.  That is how we get the label of
 breastfeeding fanatics.  The show was not about breastfeeding, so taking
 them to task for maligning the breastfeeding relationship is not
 appropriate, especially if we ever hope to get them to cover the topic of
 breastfeeding favorably....;-) >>

Barb,

I'm a bit confused as others state there was reference to BF both as a
prelude to the episode and during the couples conversation.  I probably won't
write without seeing the show myself with so many discrepancies, but I don't
feel writing an informative letter re BF is taking them to task.  I know one
has to be polite and careful with wording when writing to the media, I always
try to be.  Of the many letters I've written I only occasionally receive a
reply and most often those are positive.  A letter sent this year to "ER"
received a reply thanking me for writing and stating they (co-producer wrote
it) would keep" letter on file so we can contact you should we have questions
about future breastfeeding stories."

Maybe I'm a Pollyannna thinking they will actually contact us (our BF
consortium-I wrote as coord of Media Watch) but do feel writing can and does
make a difference. I do hear what you're saying, though, and agree that how
one says things makes a big difference.  What I sometimes feel like writing
and what I actually do are two different things entirely.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Brewster, NY