From:
Debbie Gillespie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:42:02 -0700
I'm behind on my L'net but I wanted to throw in my $.02.  I get calls
similar to this quite frequently -- unresolving or recurrent yeast -- and
they turn out NOT to be thrush in about 99% of the cases.  Unless mom has
ITCHING burning nipples, it's not thrush.  The itching should be the first
thing mom gripes about, so bad that she can't leave the house because the
itching is unbearable (anyone who has ever had a raging vaginal yeast
infection knows "the itch").

I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that baby's causing the pain and damage
to the nipples, maybe because TT isn't completely resolved, bad positioning,
or baby needs a little encouragement to relax the pressure coming from the
back of the tongue.  Ask mom what her nipple looks like immediately after
baby lets go; if it's the classic new-tube-of-lipstick flat, then baby could
be pistoning the back of her tongue to slam mom's nipple to the roof of her
mouth.  You can tell what baby's tongue is doing by having her suck on your
finger (I wear a glove), pad side up, and envision what the tongue is doing
to create that pressure.  I'm guessing you'll feel the back of the baby's
tongue slamming your fingertip against her palate with every suck, which is
what she's probably doing to mom's tender nipple tips.

Cathy Genna's wonderful book, *Supporting Sucking Skills in Breastfeeding
Infants, *will help both in diagnosis and suggested finger exercises to
retrain the tongue to reduce the amount of posterior pressure.  Meanwhile,
salt water soaks and lots of air-time for the fissured nipple will help her
cope.  If she does show signs of vasospasm from the immense pressure and
temp changes after baby releases, warm DRY compresses immediately following
release of nipple (I like socks filled with rice, like you mentioned)
and rolling the blood back into the tip of the nipple with thumb and index
finger should give her relief.  The vasospasm may take a while to subside
even after the cause has been remedied because the nerves are probably
pretty upset at the abuse they've endured.

HTH,

Debbie Gillespie, IBCLC, LLLL
Tempe, AZ