From:
Lucy Towbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 21:23:47 -0500
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm glad to hear that the baskets got so
much interest and response.  A little more creativity, I think, than
they probably got from drug reps.  What do you think about this idea
for medical students?  I have no idea what I'd have to go through to
get it to happen.  They currently get almost no training, just a
little information on how the nutritional components of breastmilk
are better, etc.  NO how to. All of the literature I've been
reviewing on physicians training says that they say they got very
little actual clinical experience.  So I'm thinking about live
models.  For those who don't know this, students graduate from
textbooks and cadavers to practicing on live paid people before they
are turned loose on actual patients.  For example, I know a woman who
is a model for breast exams (not lactating). She teaches the students
how to do it right.  She was trained and she's been examined so many
times the right way and the wrong way that she is told that she can
instruct the students if they are not doing something right.  So what
about having live models of breastfeeding women for them to practice
with?  Don't you think there must be some stay home moms that would
love to make a little money helping to teach medical students how
breastfeeding is supposed to go?

Lucy Towbin, LCSW, IBCLC