From:
Laurie Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 23:31:53 -0400

<< Date:    Tue, 30 Sep 1997 23:40:04 -0400
 From:    Keli M Sorrentino <[log in to unmask]>
 Subject: Re: mastitis and echinacea

  They can use it when there is just a hot, sore spot as a preventative but
 it is not our usual recommendation unless she becomes feverish. We
 recommend echinacea and
 Vit C when that happens. As I posted before, in the 8 years that my
 senior midwife has been practicing, she has never had to send a woman for
 antibiotics to treat mastitis.

 Keli >>

I am helping a mom that has been dealing with recurring mastitis over a span
of 2 1/2 years. With first baby, she had the problem about once a month for
two years, and now with new baby, is having the same problem. Seems to be
tied to times of "stress" (ie. extra busy days, etc). This mom is feeling
discouraged and like quitting, because she fears that this will just continue
until she weans (baby is now 8 weeks old, and there have been two episodes
since birth). She has tried both antibiotic approach, and natural approach
with nothing seeming to have a lasting effect--mastitis always returns. Mom
is in general good health, except for meds for hyperthyroidism. How much
echinacea and vitamin C should she take and how often? She is willing to try
this approach. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Laurie Moody (preparing to take the exam!)