From:
Patricia Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 06:39:40 -0500
Dear Anne, I know your dilemma.  You just have to be sure inside your own
self of why you are recommending a pump.  ie: if a mom told you that she
was getting 3-4 oz at a time hand expressing or using XYZ pump you wouldn't
insist she rent yours because "it's so easy" or "why waste your time" or
"that pump doesn't work well" etc.  see what I mean?  I've had moms come to
me getting excellent results with a pump that I personally think is trash,
but nobody told her or her body that it doesn't work well! Which goes back
to the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" rule and "the rule is there are no
rules."  Do what works!  I think what some people are seeing is that pumps
are being pushed willy-nilly, with a profit motive behind it.

You'll just have to do a reality check from time to time and make sure you
aren't getting "sucked" into the gadget or profit  mentality.
Familiarity/gifts/favors have a way of subtly undermining our standards!

When I was hospital LC we gave a good pump (M******) to every mom, but I
made sure she learned  hand expression and had info on that too.

And helping a mom with a sick or tiny baby isn't the "norm".  These moms
and babies have special needs.  I think some of the criticism is pointed at
making "every" baby/mom "need" something.  Just like in the US we've come
to think every baby "needs" to know how to take a bottle.

Good luck with the job opportunity.  I know you'll be a great help  for
moms.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ, USA