From:
Bonny Nothern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 12:59:20 -0500
I just read Jude Kurakowa's post about progesterone injections for
postpartum women who, in fact, are not in control of their bodies. Thank
you, Jude. You are seeing a very real side of the postpartum world and are
dealing with it realistically and pragmatically. A ten or even twenty
minute pep-talk is not going to matter worth a hill of beans when she gets
home to a situation she has been in for who knows how long and for who
knows what reason. Who knows when we will next get to see her? Long term
support and counseling, especially in a group could make all the difference
for such mothers but meanwhile, avoiding pregnancy will at least allow them
a prayer for even making it to the support group. It is hard for many of us
to empathize with this kind of situation but I guess we can believe Jude
when she tells us that it really does happen. I might be insulted if a HCP
strongly suggested such a thing to me after delivery but if she doesn't
know me, it would be better to risk insulting me than to miss the
opportunity to offer me protection I might desperately need.
Thanks again, Jude, for pointing out the other side of the coin.

The one thing I have to add is that I found a fair number (sorry, never
wrote down the numbers) of WIC moms who had had the shot and found their
supply compromised. Maybe education on how to counteract the effects of the
shot would have helped (increase frequency of feeding?).

Bonny Nothern, IBCLC